Since the lockdown has started, we have been getting our hands dirty in the kitchen making all sorts of fun things. We came across Dishoom’s recipe of Okra Fries and had a go at it ourselves and needless to say, it was DELICIOUS! We’re sharing the recipe with all of you so you know what you have to do; get cooking!
- 175 g okra
- 4g garlic paste
- 4g ginger paste
- ¼ tsp deggi mirch chilli powder
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 15g chickpea (gram) flour
- 10g cornflour
- ½ tsp “magic” masala
- To Serve:
- Chilli, coriander-mint and/or tamarind chutney
1. Wash the okra under cold water and pat completely dry with kitchen paper. Take off and discard the top of each okra, leaving the tail intact. Slice in half lengthways.
2. Mix the garlic and ginger pastes together with chilli powder and 4 tsp water. Add the okra halves and mix well to ensure they are well coated.
3. Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 180°C.
4. Mix the two flours together. Sprinkle over the okra and toss very gently to coat.
5. Fry the okra in hot oil for about 4-5 minutes, in batches if necessary, until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper, sprinkle with “magic” masala and serve immediately, with your choice of chutneys.