Get ready to knock your chopsticks off with @bhindifries’ killer General Tso Chicken recipe!
One of my guilty pleasures is a good ol’ General Tso’s Chicken – a little sweet, a little spicy, and entirely satisfying. The Chinese-American dish consists of fried chicken pieces that are breaded and tossed in a tangy sauce… So it’s not the healthiest, but it’s definitely a crowd pleaser.
For the chicken
• 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1” pieces
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/3 cup corn starch
• vegetable oil for frying
• 2 teaspoons lightly browned sesame seeds
• 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
For the sauce:
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
• 3/4 cup chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
• 1 tablespoon chilli oil
• 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon corn starch
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil
1. Place the eggs in a bowl and add a pink of salt and pepper.
2. Mix together the flour and corn starch and place in a shallow bowl.
3. Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep pot.
4. Dip each piece of chicken individually into the egg mixture, then coat fully in the flour mixture. Repeat for all of the chicken pieces.
5. Fry 8 pieces of chicken at a time for 5 minutes or until browned. Repeat with all the remaining chicken. You can keep the pieces on a newspaper.
6. Next, comes the sauce: Heat the vegetable oil and sesame oil oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.
7. Whisk together the chicken broth, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce, chilli oil, oyster sauce and corn starch. You can taste it and switch up quantities as you please. You can add a dash of rice vinegar in here as well.
8. Add the liquid mixture to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
9. Mix the sauce and chicken pieces together. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions and serve.